[docs] [issue17727] document that some distributions change site.py defaults

Georg Brandl report at bugs.python.org
Sun Apr 14 10:43:34 CEST 2013

New submission from Georg Brandl:

>From the docs@ list:
"""
Dear all,

the first paragraph of the documentation for the site module states that site.py constructs four directories using a head and tail part, and that

one of the tail parts would be lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages on UNIX/Mac.

However, in my Python 3.2 installation on Ubuntu 12.04 this is actually lib/python3/dist-packages (so no .Y and a different subdirectory) !

This is also stated in the module’s doc string.

I don’t know why the Python documentation says something else, but that should be fixed.
"""

Attached a patch to explain why the defaults may look different on some distributions.  Please review.

components: Documentation
files: site-patch.diff
keywords: patch
messages: 186897
nosy: barry, docs at python, doko, georg.brandl
stage: patch review
status: open
title: document that some distributions change site.py defaults
type: enhancement
versions: Python 2.7, Python 3.3, Python 3.4
Added file: http://bugs.python.org/file29849/site-patch.diff