[docs] [issue17273] multiprocessing.pool.Pool task/worker handlers are not fork safe

Arun Babu Neelicattu report at bugs.python.org
Sun Feb 24 05:24:56 CET 2013

Arun Babu Neelicattu added the comment:

Terry, I think the best place to make a note of this would be at [1,2].

As for what should be noted, something along the lines of what Richard mentioned should suffice.

"A pool should only be used by the process that created it (unless you use a managed pool)."

I am not certain what the best way to phrase this would be, but it would also be helpful to note that this will cause unexpected behavior if a script imports a module that uses a Pool and forks (ie. uses Process() or another Pool()). This is how I bumped into this issue.

Hope this helps.

[1] http://docs.python.org/2/library/multiprocessing.html#using-a-pool-of-workers
[2] http://docs.python.org/3/library/multiprocessing.html#using-a-pool-of-workers