[docs] [issue16901] In http.cookiejar.FileCookieJar() the .load() and .revert() methods don't work

Demian Brecht report at bugs.python.org
Thu Feb 28 08:24:47 CET 2013

Demian Brecht added the comment:

@Terry: I don't think that the name change is unnecessary as the patch changes the semantics of the the LWP and Mozilla Cookie classes. In the patch, they no longer /are/ a subclass of a CookieJar, but they take a CookieJar object and implement the FileCookieProcessor interface in order to save/load/revert file-based cookies.

This solves the problem of an abstract base class (or at least, what was /intended/ to be an abstract base class prior to abcs: FileCookieJar) extending a concrete class, which doesn't make sense from an architectural standpoint. It also fixes the problem that people are encountering when attempting to instantiate a FileCookieJar object, it doesn't just patch something that's fundamentally broken. It could be my lack of experience with large scale OSS, but I'd prefer a /correct/ fix (especially to something that few actually care about and is seemingly not in heavy use) over a duct taped "just make it work" solution.

I absolutely agree, however, that this is a rather large change (as far as the cookiejar module goes anyway) and shouldn't be taken lightly. However, the cookiejar module /is/ in need of some love and I think that this takes a step to giving it that.

@py.user: My proposal was made to python-ideas. I just prefer gmane to Google Group for links.