[docs] Documentation about python on os x

Séamus O'Shea seamuslethbridge at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 14:53:41 CET 2013

Isn't it time to update this?

Mac OS X 10.5 comes with Python 2.5.1 pre-installed by Apple. If you wish, you are invited to install the most recent version of Python from the Python website (http://www.python.org). A current “universal binary” build of Python, which runs natively on the Mac’s new Intel and legacy PPC CPU’s, is available there.

What you get after installing is a number of things:

A MacPython 2.5 folder in your Applications folder. In here you find IDLE, the development environment that is a standard part of official Python distributions; PythonLauncher, which handles double-clicking Python scripts from the Finder; and the “Build Applet” tool, which allows you to package Python scripts as standalone applications on your system.
A framework /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework, which includes the Python executable and libraries. The installer adds this location to your shell path. To uninstall MacPython, you can simply remove these three things. A symlink to the Python executable is placed in /usr/local/bin/.

I appreciate the effort required to keep things up  to date and I understand it can't be easy. Nevertheless, this is very badly out of date.

Thanks

Séamus O'Shea
seamuslethbridge at gmail.com