[docs] [issue18572] Remove redundant note about surrogates in string escape doc

Terry J. Reedy report at bugs.python.org
Sat Jul 27 22:03:56 CEST 2013

Terry J. Reedy added the comment:

3.3.2:
>>> '\uD80C\uDC80' == '\U00013080'
False

The statement that surrogate code units can be encoded this way is still true. Indeed, it is now the only way to get such code units into a string. The suggestion that a pair will make an astral char is now false. The sentence could be changed to

"Individual surrogate code units can be encoded using this escape sequence."

On the other hand, the same is true of *any* BMP char, including all the *other* non-graphic chars that can only be entered this way. So I think the sentence, if not deleted, should be replaced by what seems to me a more useful (complete) statement.

"Any Basic Multilingual  Plane (BMP) codepoint can be encoded using this escape sequence."

nosy: +terry.reedy