[docs] [issue16278] os.rename documentation slightly inaccurate

Ezio Melotti report at bugs.python.org
Mon Mar 4 18:27:47 CET 2013

Ezio Melotti added the comment:

Adding more tests is good, even though there are still a few things that should be improved (see comments on rietveld).
Regarding the documentation I'm not sure it's a good idea to be so detailed.  On one hand, if we test the behavior we can make sure that the documentation is accurate, OTOH it might make the docs more confusing and once this behavior is documented it will be difficult to change it (and there might still be exceptions on different platforms/filesystems or if symlinks are involved).
Maybe it would be better to suggest a LBYL approach rather trying to document and deal with all the different combinations.