[docs] [issue17437] Difference between open and codecs.open

Giampaolo Rodola' report at bugs.python.org
Sat Mar 16 11:58:59 CET 2013

New submission from Giampaolo Rodola':

In Python 2 the distinction between open() and codes.open() was clear because 'encoding' and 'errors' args were provided by codecs.open only.
This is no longer the case in Python 3 since both args are provided also by open().

I'm probably missing something but regardless I think codecs.open doc [1] should be more clear as to when and why (say) codecs.open(file, encoding='utf8', errors='ignore') should be preferred over open(file, encoding='utf8', errors='ignore').

[1] http://docs.python.org/3/library/codecs.html#codecs.open

components: Documentation
messages: 184303
nosy: docs at python, ezio.melotti, giampaolo.rodola
title: Difference between open and codecs.open
versions: Python 3.2, Python 3.3, Python 3.4