[docs] Possible documentation bug

Pedro G. Acevedo pgacv2 at gmail.com
Wed May 8 22:18:52 CEST 2013

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is a bug per se, but it can throw you off so I would
think it's at least counter-intuitive. On IE 8 (have not tested on other
browsers), the Python version in the drop-down at the top of a
documentation page does not match the version in the URL, which is the real
version that I'm browsing. This happens if you have used the drop-down to
switch versions.

To reproduce:
1. Go to http://docs.python.org/3/library/index.html
2. Use the drop-down at the top of the page to switch to version 2.6.
3. See that the URL now reads 2.6, but the drop-down continues to display
3.4. This could make you think that you're browsing the 3.4 documentation
when in reality you aren't.

The string "(3.4)" is found nowhere in the page's source code so I assume
it's being generated by an imported Javascript file. If this is a regular
<select> element, then I assume the correct version could be displayed by
adding the "selected" attribute to the <option> element of whichever
version is currently being browsed.

Cheers.

Pedro G. Acevedo