[docs] [issue19737] Documentation of globals() and locals() should be improved

Terry J. Reedy report at bugs.python.org
Sat Nov 30 04:25:55 CET 2013

Terry J. Reedy added the comment:

In my opinion, vague ideas like this one should go to python-ideas first.

I agree with David that globals() and locals() are separate issues. Since there have been and perhaps still are locals() doc issues, I will take this one to be about 'globals()'.

A 'symbol table' is a mapping between 'symbols' and 'values'. I presume such were originally implemented as a concrete list of pairs, but the term is now is an abstraction. In the Python context, I think 'namespace' would be a better word, but I would not make the change without getting other opinions, such as on python-ideas.

The [...] that you omitted says "This is always the dictionary of the current module (...)." I cannot interpret 'is' to mean a copy. So I think "[concrete] dictionary represents [abstract] symbol table [namespace]" is fine.

nosy: +terry.reedy
versions: +Python 2.7, Python 3.3, Python 3.4