[docs] [issue19147] pydoc3 fcntl.flock documentation gives wrong man page section for flock

Andrew Parker report at bugs.python.org
Wed Oct 2 19:17:36 CEST 2013

New submission from Andrew Parker:

On my Linux system the docs for fcntl.flock gives me "man 3 flock" for more details:

    $ pydoc3 fcntl.flock
    Help on built-in function flock in fcntl:

    fcntl.flock = flock(...)
        flock(fd, operation)

        Perform the lock operation op on file descriptor fd.  See the Unix
        manual page for flock(3) for details.  (On some systems, this function is
        emulated using fcntl().)

However, at least for Fedora 19 and RHEL 6, that should be "man 2 flock" or "See the manual page for flock(2) for details":

    $ man 3 flock | wc -l
    No manual entry for flock in section 3
    0
    $ man 2 flock | wc -l
    85

Note that http://docs.python.org/3/library/fcntl.html#fcntl.flock and http://docs.python.org/2/library/fcntl.html#fcntl.flock both have it right.

components: Documentation
messages: 198856
nosy: Andrew.Parker, docs at python
title: pydoc3 fcntl.flock documentation gives wrong man page section for flock
versions: Python 2.6, Python 2.7, Python 3.3