[docs] datetime.strftime nits

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sat Oct 12 21:18:46 CEST 2013

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Georg Brandl <georg at python.org> wrote:
> our policy has always been to only document the format codes available in
> POSIX; %s does not seem to be POSIX-compliant.  (There is a sentence to
> the effect that there may be additional non-portable codes available.)
>
> We could of course change this, but it would require a survey of the
> most used systems and a bit of effort.

Georg,

Thanks for the reply. If you are only going to document some of the
format codes, I think it makes sense to document those which you can't
find elsewhere. If someone was to read the documentation, they
wouldn't learn about %s. Leaving it undocumented makes propagation of
this knowledge only possible by word-of-mouth or examination of
somebody's code. That also tends to foster a bit of a "high priest"
perspective. You're in on the secret or you're not.

Skip