[docs] Pickle (0-2) is reading is *not* backward compatible

staticd staticd.growthecommons at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 07:47:13 CEST 2013

Pickle in version 3.x cannot read any 2.x pickles if they contain any
binary data. (e.g. numpy arrays) This has been a bug that has been open for
the last 4 years. So there will be many installations of python 3 affected
by this.(http://bugs.python.org/issue6784)

I think it is essential that the documentation makes it clear that pickle
is *not* backwards compatible for reading old data. It will save a lot of
grief when debugging.

 It might also be a factor when people choose a persistence format for
their data if they have to support multiple versions of python.

BTW, I'm no great programmer but I would love to contribute to the python
docs (like processing requests that come on this mailing list) and wiki.
how can I sign on for that?

Thanks.