[docs] Confusing text which may came from a work to update documents

tomo cocoa cocoatomo77 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 13:36:30 CET 2013

Hello,

I am a Japanese translator of Python documentation.

In the third paragraph of the section "Reading and Writing Unicode Data"
(
http://docs.python.org/3.3/howto/unicode.html#reading-and-writing-unicode-data
),
there is some confusing text: "open a file, read an 8-bit bytes object from
it, and convert the string with bytes.decode(encoding)"

Words "the string" in it may refer to "an 8-bit bytes object", but usually
we do not call a bytes object "string". This sentence confuses me.

To know why and where such a strange word came from, I got back into Python
documentation on version 2.7
(
http://docs.python.org/2.7/howto/unicode.html#reading-and-writing-unicode-data
).
On this version, a corresponding old text is "open a file, read an 8-bit
string from it, and convert the string with unicode(str, encoding)".
As you might notice, the object read from a file is "string", but not
"bytes" which appeared in Python 3.0.
When this paragraph was converted, words "the string" might be missed and
left.

As my conclusion, I suggest that words "the string" should be "the bytes".

Regards,
cocoatomo

--
class Cocoatomo: