[docs] [issue18939] Venv docs regarding original python install

R. David Murray report at bugs.python.org
Fri Sep 6 04:39:59 CEST 2013

R. David Murray added the comment:

Hmm.  It seems to me that that document is indeed not clear as to what is really going on.  My understanding has always been that there is only one Python interpreter, but that it behaves differently when invoked through the symlink in the venv.  I suppose that on Windows platforms where symlink isn't available it must actually copy the whole binary, but I don't use Windows so I don't know for sure.  (So, to answer one of your questions, you *can't* create a venv for a Python you don't already have installed.)

It should also mention that the activation is per-shell-session, which would answer some of your other questions.

nosy: +r.david.murray, vinay.sajip