[docs] [issue19067] Built-in range docstrings are not PEP-8 compatible

Terry J. Reedy report at bugs.python.org
Sat Sep 28 22:17:15 CEST 2013

Terry J. Reedy added the comment:

PEP8 just says "PEP 257 describes good docstring conventions."
PEP 257 is what says '''It [the one line docstring] prescribes the function or method's effect as a command ("Do this", "Return that"), not as a description; e.g. don't write "Returns the pathname ...". '''

I strongly prefer the rule, but we do not usually patch purely for PEP8 compliance. However, a docstring patch is safer than a code patch.

nosy: +terry.reedy
stage:  -> patch review
versions:  -Python 3.1