[docs] [issue22224] docs.python.org is prone to political blocking in Russia

Donald Stufft report at bugs.python.org
Wed Aug 20 16:38:33 CEST 2014

Donald Stufft added the comment:

> I think we should have additional fallback domains setup
> that go to frontend.python.org and then also get mapped to
> the right backend server in order to be able to easily
> work around this.

I'm not sure it's worth it tbh. It's certainly going to be error prone to store
the frontend configuration in two locations (Fastly and front.python.org).
There might be additional things we can do on the Fastly side of things, I know
the have the ability to have dedicated IP addresses in all their DCs (typically
this is in use for providing EV SSL certs and the like). We don't have that
and generally this costs like $1500/month for the SSL cert stuff. I can ping
them about it and see if they have any other ideas.

> This would also help with some other issues such as Fastly
> cache invalidation not working properly (which most likely is due
> to the website not providing the right information for this work
> rather than Fastly's fault).

Right, it's basically that there is no cache invalidation as far as I know.
Actually invalidating the cache pretty much always works in my experience.