[docs] Problem with Python Idle

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pydocs at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 17:57:38 CET 2014

Hi Peter,

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Peter McCahy <sujosibn at icloud.com> wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I hope you can assist.  I have decided to learn some programming and have
> downloaded Python as it appears to offer the advantage of being logical
> without being over complicated.
>
> I have installed Python 3.4 on my Mac which is running OS X 10.10.1
> Yosemite.
>
> When I open the program Idle I get the message

> Visit http://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/ for current information.
>
> I tried typing in some lines of code copied from a Python tutorial I found
> on the Python website
>
> After Hours Programming Python 3 Tutorial (Python 3)
>
> Although the code ran OK on the tutorial website it produced errors when I
> typed it in Idle.
>
> I visited the site quoted in the error message and as a result of
> information given there I downloaded and installed Wish 8.6 which has
> version Tcl 8.6 & Tk 8.6 (8.6.3)
>
> However I still got the same error message.  I, therefore, uninstalled
> Python and downloaded it again from the Python website and reinstalled it in
> the hope that it would recognise the new version of Tcl/Tk.
> But, the same error message still appears.  The program Idle does not seem
> to recognise that I have Tcl8.6 &Tk 8.6.3 installed instead of Tcl/Tk 8.5.9
>
> There must be a simple error I am making, but I do not know what it is.

First off, this is not the correct list for usage questions like this;
this list is meant for discussion about the Python documentation.
You'll have better luck asking questions like this on the main list,
python-list at python.org.

That said, I suspect the problem may be that the version of tkinter
(which is the graphical framework behind IDLE) is as far as I know
compiled against Tcl/Tk 8.5, and thus can't use Tcl/Tk 8.6.  I'd
suggest trying the latest Tcl/Tk 8.5 (look for 8.5.17.0 on
http://www.activestate.com/activetcl/downloads).  If that doesn't
help, please re-ask your question on python-list.

Hope this helps,
--
Zach