[docs] [issue20103] Documentation of itertools.accumulate is confused

Mitchell Model report at bugs.python.org
Wed Jan 1 17:12:00 CET 2014

New submission from Mitchell Model:

The documentation of itertools.accumulate (10.1) starts out with 2 misleading sentences: "Make an iterator that returns accumulated sums. Elements may be any addable type..." It then goes on to show examples of using the func parameter added in 3.3 that are not additions. It should be changed to something like: "Make an iterator that returns accumulated values. Elements may be any type that can be an argument to func. Func defaults to addition, so by default elements can be any addable types, ..." My wording is awkward, but you get the idea. I think this is a significant documentation issue, not just a nit.

components: Documentation
messages: 207135
nosy: MLModel, docs at python
title: Documentation of itertools.accumulate is confused
versions: Python 3.3, Python 3.4