[docs] [issue19608] devguide needs pictures

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 14:39:15 CEST 2014

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Ezio Melotti <ezio.melotti at gmail.com> wrote:
> What does "some immediate intro picture at the top of front page
> illustrating transformation of Python code through the toolchain to
> machine execution instructions" mean exactly?
> If you are talking about pictures that illustrate how a Python source
> code is parsed and converted to bytecode it doesn't belong to the
> front page of the devguide.

Yes. This is what I have in mind. Do you have any objective arguments
against this? Why are you so sure there is no place for it? Do you have
the specific picture that I can apply and see that it really doesn't fit
here, so I can adjust it or just say what is conceptually wrong and leave
the work for people who are more proficient in this?

Do you think that coders can not draw pictures, and the reason for you
to close this issue is because you think that neither me, nor you can
draw one? Should all bugs that neither me nor you can fix be closed?

> If you are talking about using
> configure/make to compile python, at the top of the front page there's
> already the quick start, which is a simple bullet list with useful
> links.  You could turn that to an image but it won't get much easier
> to understand, and you won't be able to add links to the image.

No.

> Can you link to a specific section of the devguide that you think
> should be converted to an image, and suggest what things should be in
> the image (and/or propose an ASCII-art version of the image you are
> suggesting)?

Read the subject again. `devguide needs pictures` is an issue. It is
about means that devguide is not attractive, not that there is not enough
information. Just that this information is hard to read. I am the user, I
report bug. You ask me to be a design guy and developer. I am sure
that there are professionals who are not only interested, but could do
this professionally and much better than me - identify the place and
illustrate the process. Closing bugs, because they are reported by
users is bad indicator. Knowing that I possess the skills to draw and
develop is not a reason to assume that I am not a user and can do this.

The picture that absolutely needs to be present is an overview of what
Python is from inside, a concept, an art, sketch - anything that draws
interest and is based on real things inside, not a lie and not a compete
fantasy. The correct approach for it is to organize an art competition. I
think that organization that specifically created to "promote, protect,
and advance the Python programming language" should somehow
jump in and say something about this.