[docs] [issue16237] bdist_rpm SPEC files created with distutils may be distro specific

Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda report at bugs.python.org
Wed Jul 16 09:09:53 CEST 2014

Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda added the comment:

Hi, so I'm not sure I understand this correctly. AFAICS there are two patches in issue 14443 that are, to certain degree, independent. As for the patch that overrides __os_install_post [1], that is no longer needed in RHEL 7, since the line

    /usr/lib/rpm/brp-python-bytecompile \

in RHEL 6 RPM has been replaced by

    /usr/lib/rpm/brp-python-bytecompile %{__python} %{?_python_bytecompile_errors_terminate_build} \

in RHEL 7 RPM. The other patch referenced from that issue that defines macro __python to self.python (meaning either sys.executable or "python3") [2] is still needed, I believe.

I hope that this answers the question.

[1] http://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/a9a12ad553f0
[2] http://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/3d61e27cc570