[docs] [issue22006] thread module documentation erroneously(?) states not all built-in functions that do blocking I/O release the GIL

Mark Dickinson report at bugs.python.org
Sat Jul 19 09:46:37 CEST 2014

Mark Dickinson added the comment:

It seems likely that this information is just out of date.  But even if there *are* still built-in functions lurking somewhere that don't release the GIL during I/O, the statement in the docs isn't really helpful in finding them.  Either way, I'd recommend simply removing it.

Adding Guido to the nosy in case he can provide a pre-Python 1.0 historical perspective.

nosy: +gvanrossum, mark.dickinson
versions:  -Python 3.1, Python 3.2