[docs] Interested in contributing to documentation

Carol Willing willingc at willingconsulting.com
Sat Jul 26 19:39:08 CEST 2014

Hi Tammy,

It's awesome that you would like to contribute. The first patch is
challenging since you are learning the process, tools, and community
norms simultaneously. Your first steps in getting Mercurial and reading
the docs are good steps. Let's see if I can help guide you further
through the process.

Here's a link to the Python Developer's Guide:
https://docs.python.org/devguide/

The Python Developer's Guide should give you a detailed overview on how
to contribute to documentation. Sections 7 and 8 were particularly
helpful to me when I made my first documentation change. Section 27
(FAQ) also answers general questions.

Please feel free to email me directly with questions or via IRC (nick:
willingc). I'm sure that we can work through any questions that you may
have on understanding how to submit your first documentation patch.

Warmly,
Carol

On 7/24/14, 2:58 PM, Tammy Miller wrote:
>  I have been reading the documentation and would like to make
> changes/modifications to the documentation issues but it is not that
> clear to me on how to proceed.
> I have downloaded Mercuial and TortosieHG and the repository but I do
> not know how to go in and edit the changes and like upload the
> changes(I am not sure if I should use the commit). I do apologize for
> being slow at this but would like to contribute.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Tammy
> > From: zachary.ware+pydocs at gmail.com
> > Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 15:05:23 -0500
> > Subject: Re: [docs] Interested in contributing to documentation
> > To: docs at python.org
> > CC: tgmiller5 at hotmail.com
> >
> > Hi Tammy,
> >
> > On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Tammy Miller
> <tgmiller5 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > My name is Tammy and I am interested in contributing to
> documentation for
> > > Python.
> >
> > Glad to hear that you're interested! You can get started by taking a
> > look at the Reporting Bugs page[1] of the docs, which contains some
> > suggestions for how to get started, links to more resources, and in
> > particular a link to open documentation bugs on the Python bug
> > tracker. Feel free to dive in wherever you feel comfortable, and
> > don't hesitate to ask questions. You may be interested in the
> > core-mentorship mailing list (mentioned at the bottom of the page I
> > linked to) for quick help from friendly people, or you can use this
> > list for documentation issues (though there are significantly fewer
> > people actively listening here).
> >
> > If there's anything that can be done to help you along the way, do
> let us know!
> >
> > Welcome to Python, we hope you enjoy your stay :)
> >
> > --
> > Zach
> >
> > [1] http://docs.python.org/3/bugs.html

*Carol Willing*