[docs] Update cgi module doc (issue 11352)

jimjjewett at gmail.com jimjjewett at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 20:37:33 CET 2014

http://bugs.python.org/review/11352/diff/4862/Doc/library/cgi.rst
File Doc/library/cgi.rst (right):

http://bugs.python.org/review/11352/diff/4862/Doc/library/cgi.rst#newcode32
Doc/library/cgi.rst:32: submitted through an HTML ``<FORM>`` element.
Marking for posterity:  ISINDEX is obsolete, but still supported.  This
change is OK anyhow because of the "usually".

http://bugs.python.org/review/11352/diff/4862/Doc/library/cgi.rst#newcode95
Doc/library/cgi.rst:95: consume standard input, it should be
instantiated only once.
Once once per what?  Per Request?  Per process?  Per process until the

http://bugs.python.org/review/11352/diff/4862/Doc/library/cgi.rst#newcode99
Doc/library/cgi.rst:99: is usually contained in the META tag in the HEAD
section of the HTML
Also, "in a META element", rather than *the* element.

Also, encoding depends on the data uploaded, not just on the form sent.
I'm not sure how to word that, but here is a try:

The *encoding* and *errors* parameters indicate how to decode the bytes
into text strings.  (See the :mod:`str` documentation.)  The default
assumption is ASCII, with any other characters causing an exception to
be raised.  Often, a better guess is available, typically from
application- (or form-) specific knowledge, a :mailheader:`Content-Type`
header's `charset` attribute, or a  ``<META>`` element.

Note that I agree a link might be better still; I'm just not sure how to
do it.

http://bugs.python.org/review/11352/diff/4862/Doc/make.bat
File Doc/make.bat (right):

http://bugs.python.org/review/11352/diff/4862/Doc/make.bat#newcode5
Doc/make.bat:5: if "%PYTHON%" EQU "" set PYTHON=c:/python27/python.exe
This seems like a change to for bootstrapping or cross-compiling --
unrelated to the doc changes.

http://bugs.python.org/review/11352/diff/4862/Lib/http/server.py
File Lib/http/server.py (right):

http://bugs.python.org/review/11352/diff/4862/Lib/http/server.py#newcode1167
Lib/http/server.py:1167: stdin=stdin,
This change is not just documentation, and should probably be discussed
separately.

http://bugs.python.org/review/11352/