[docs] Python 2.7.6 and Python 3.2.3 Curses Modules do not handle 256-color palette

Richard S. Gordon rigordo at comcast.net
Wed Mar 26 13:11:05 CET 2014

Problem:

	Python 2.7.6 and Python 3.2.3 Curses Modules do not properly handle 256-color palette.

Symptoms:
I have installed my application on Linux (Fedora 20 and Ubuntu 12.04), Mac OS X  (10.7.5 and 10.9.1) and Windows 7 (after installing Cygwin).
My application properly displays normal 8-color palette with xterm and xterm-color.
My application defines, generates and properly displays 16-color palette for xterm-16color.
My application defines, generates but fails to display 71-color palette for xterm-88color. It displays wrong colors and is marred by various artifacts (lines) despite host terminals (Fedora 20 and Mac OS 10.9) that had been released with default to xterm-256-color.
My application defines, generates but fails to display 140-color palette for and xterm-256color. It displays wrong colors and is marred by various artifacts (lines) despite host terminals (Fedora 20 and Mac OS 10.9) that had been released with default to xterm-256-color.
I suspect that wide (Unicode) characters are not being supported.

Any suggestions?

Richard S. Gordon