[docs] 'codecs' module docs improvements (issue 19548)

vadmium+py at gmail.com vadmium+py at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 07:05:30 CET 2015

Addressing some of the comments in patch v5

https://bugs.python.org/review/19548/diff/13502/Doc/library/codecs.rst
File Doc/library/codecs.rst (right):

https://bugs.python.org/review/19548/diff/13502/Doc/library/codecs.rst#newcode211
Doc/library/codecs.rst:211: a text stream.
On 2014/12/31 10:53:25, vadmium wrote:
> Perhaps the last sentence is not needed, now that all these functions
are
> introduced as being for binary files.

Done.

https://bugs.python.org/review/19548/diff/13502/Doc/library/codecs.rst#newcode382
Doc/library/codecs.rst:382: The standard error handlers are implemented
in the following functions:
On 2014/12/31 10:53:25, vadmium wrote:
> This is just “_Some_ standard error handlers”, since the surrogate
handlers are
> omitted.

Done.

https://bugs.python.org/review/19548/diff/13502/Doc/library/codecs.rst#newcode420
Doc/library/codecs.rst:420: Codec Objects
On 2014/12/31 10:53:25, vadmium wrote:
> On 2014/12/30 14:38:56, zuo wrote:
> > Still the relation between the `codec` term and the Codec
class/objects is not
> > clear IMHO.
>
> Maybe changing the heading to “Stateless Codec Objects” would help?

Done.

https://bugs.python.org/review/19548/diff/13502/Doc/library/codecs.rst#newcode625
Doc/library/codecs.rst:625: *stream* must be a file-like object open for
writing binary data.
On 2014/12/31 10:53:25, vadmium wrote:
> Did you mean to revert to “binary data” here? Patch v3 changed the
wording here.

Restored new wording in my v5 patch for 3.4 branch

https://bugs.python.org/review/19548/diff/13502/Doc/library/codecs.rst#newcode829
Doc/library/codecs.rst:829: :term:`text encoding` and recreating the
On 2014/12/31 10:53:25, vadmium wrote:
> Transforming a string into a sequence of bytes is known as *encoding*,
and
> recreating the string from the sequence of bytes is known as
*decoding*.  There
> are different methods for how this transformation can be done.  (These
methods
> are also called :term:`text encodings <text encoding>`.)

Added my new wording in new patch

https://bugs.python.org/review/19548/