[docs] [issue23200] Clarify max_length and flush() for zlib decompression

Martin Panter report at bugs.python.org
Fri Jan 9 03:08:57 CET 2015

Martin Panter added the comment:

The processing of unconsumed_tail in flush() was introduced via Issue 16411. Before that I suspect flush() was assumed to only be called when max_length was not used.

The decompress() method changed from Z_NO_FLUSH to Z_SYNC_FLUSH in Feb 2001; see revision 01c2470eeb2e. I guess previously flush() was necessary to get all your data. The max_length parameter was added later in October that year; see Issue 403753 and revision 60e12f83d2d2.