[docs] [issue23311] Update PC/example_nt and extending/windows.rst

Steve Dower report at bugs.python.org
Sat Jan 24 18:40:01 CET 2015

New submission from Steve Dower:

The installer for 3.5 will include an option to install debug binaries alongside the release ones, so we should update extending/windows.rst to explain that and generally describe how to build an extension. It should also refer to python3.dll at least once...

The example project in PC/example_nt is fairly outdated. It could be updated to automatically find a 3.5 install and use the debug or release binaries/libraries from there.

We could also include a 'test' project for PTVS (http://pytools.codeplex.com/) that helps write Python code for testing the extension and also has mixed-mode debugging enabled so people can step between the Python and the C code.

(In fact, the PTVS team wants to do a sample project like this anyway, so maybe we can remove PC/example_nt and point to theirs...)

components: Documentation, Windows
messages: 234624
nosy: docs at python, steve.dower, tim.golden, zach.ware
title: Update PC/example_nt and extending/windows.rst
versions: Python 3.5