[docs] [issue23787] sum() function docstring lists arguments incorrectly

R. David Murray report at bugs.python.org
Fri Mar 27 15:53:25 CET 2015

R. David Murray added the comment:

In python3 the docstring does say iterable.  It wouldn't be a bad thing to change it in 2.7, but it is not much of a priority.  iterable vs sequence makes no difference to the str question: a string is an iterable.  The docstring explicitly says strings are excepted, as you mentioned, so there's nothing to do about that.

I note that python3 also does not support iterables of byte-like objects.  I'm not sure if this would actually be helpful to add to the docstring, though, since sum(b'abc') works and a docstring is probably not an appropriate place to go into detail as to why.

nosy: +r.david.murray