[docs] [issue23787] sum() function docstring lists arguments incorrectly

Valentine Sinitsyn report at bugs.python.org
Sun Mar 29 21:07:21 CEST 2015

Valentine Sinitsyn added the comment:

Seems like mentioning string was really a bad idea. They were only used as (poor) example, forget them if they are confusing in any way.

In my understanding, any sequence in Python is iterable, bit not all iterables are sequences (correct me if I'm wrong). Then, the purpose of my suggestion is to explicitly say that sum() accepts iterables. In its current form, it seems like it doesn't, that's why I considered the docstring [subtly] wrong.