[docs] [issue25064] Adjust tempfile documentation for bytes filename support

Martin Panter report at bugs.python.org
Fri Sep 11 05:46:56 CEST 2015

New submission from Martin Panter:

This is a followup to Issue 24230, which added support for bytes filenames to “tempfile” module. Currently I think the documentation is misleading, for example it suggests the default values are prefix="tmp" and suffix="", when they are actually None to avoid forcing a text filename. I suggest this patch to fix the problem.

The patch also merges the paragraphs that describe “suffix” and “prefix”, and points out that mktemp() does not support these changes.

----------
assignee: docs at python
components: Documentation
files: tempfile-sig.patch
keywords: patch
messages: 250440
nosy: docs at python, gregory.p.smith, martin.panter
priority: normal
severity: normal
stage: patch review
status: open
title: Adjust tempfile documentation for bytes filename support
versions: Python 3.5, Python 3.6
Added file: http://bugs.python.org/file40431/tempfile-sig.patch