[docs] [issue26638] Avoid warnings about missing CLI options when building documentation

Terry J. Reedy report at bugs.python.org
Thu Aug 25 15:34:25 EDT 2016

Terry J. Reedy added the comment:

Thank you, that worked -- and should have been documented in the help output.  All the sphinx dependencies were inequalities, and rebuilding worked.

The devguide only says "You are expected to have installed a recent version of Sphinx on your system or in a virtualenv,".  Could we add

"We currently recommend 'python -m pip install sphinx==1.3.6' as the easiest way to install and the best version for most people to install.  See https://bugs.python.org/issue26638 for why."

(I am assuming that pip works on all systems, not just Windows.)  The sentence finishes with "so that the Makefile can find the sphinx-build command."  On Windows. this is most easily done by installing Sphinx with a Python version that was added to PATH when installed.