[docs] [issue29012] __bases__ is a tuple (possibly empty or a singleton)

Jim Fasarakis-Hilliard report at bugs.python.org
Mon Dec 19 03:00:07 EST 2016

New submission from Jim Fasarakis-Hilliard:

The following statement is in the Language Reference for Custom classes:

>  __bases__ is a tuple (possibly empty or a singleton) containing the base classes

AFAIK, ``object.__bases__`` is the only object for which ``__bases__`` is empty and it isn't a *custom* class. Attempts to create a class and assign __bases__ to an empty tuple is checked to enforce inheritance from ``object``. This *seems* to be something that slipped through when the docs were created for Python 3.0?

I'm curious to see if this can actually be empty, if not, attached patch removes ''empty'' from the sentence.

components: Documentation
files: fixbasesdoc.patch
keywords: patch
messages: 283595
nosy: Jim Fasarakis-Hilliard, docs at python
title: __bases__ is a tuple (possibly empty or a singleton)
versions: Python 3.3, Python 3.4, Python 3.5, Python 3.6, Python 3.7
Added file: http://bugs.python.org/file45962/fixbasesdoc.patch