[docs] [issue27228] just for clearing: os.path.normpath("file://a") returns "file:/a"

Arno-Can Uestuensoez report at bugs.python.org
Sun Jun 5 07:19:28 EDT 2016

New submission from Arno-Can Uestuensoez:

I am currently finishing a file system library and use 'os.path.normpath' for canonical input into match-operations.

So already found Issue26329 - IEEE-1003.1-Chap 4.2 and written a comment. But I guess this issue should be handled seperately.

Now have to deal by myself with the eventual prefix 'file://' for input, and guess it should be supported. I did not found a statement on this case, so issue this for clarification. The 'os.path.normpath' call simply replaces subsequent os.sep, when they are not leading as 1003.1 states. But how should the following examples be handled:

  file:////a   => /a OR //a ???

  file://///a  => /a  OK
  file:///a    => /a  OK

components: Documentation
messages: 267407
nosy: Fred Rolland, Winterflower, acue, docs at python, ebarry, lemburg, serhiy.storchaka
title: just for clearing: os.path.normpath("file://a") returns "file:/a"
type: behavior
versions: Python 2.7