[docs] [issue28733] Show how to use mock_open in modules other that __main__

Michał Bultrowicz report at bugs.python.org
Fri Nov 18 08:17:52 EST 2016

New submission from Michał Bultrowicz:

Documentation of mock_open doesn't say how to use it in real-life test situations (when you're probably not mocking in __main__). I've spent some time scratching my head and googling for the way to mock-out the "open" function, want to spare other people the hassle.

The thing is that "open" needs to be mocked out from the magical "builtins" module, and not from the place of usage (like when mocking everything that's not built-in). So it's not obvious how to do that, especially that the example with __main__ makes it look like the normal mocking approach should work.

I still don't fully understand why mocking "__main__.open" can work from interpreter, but that's a different thing...

components: Documentation
files: mock_open_doc.patch
keywords: patch
messages: 281114
nosy: butla, docs at python
title: Show how to use mock_open in modules other that __main__
type: enhancement
versions: Python 3.3, Python 3.4, Python 3.5, Python 3.6, Python 3.7
Added file: http://bugs.python.org/file45533/mock_open_doc.patch