[docs] [issue31146] Docs: On non-public translations, language picker fallback to "English"

Julien Palard report at bugs.python.org
Tue Aug 8 11:29:40 EDT 2017

New submission from Julien Palard:

As, by default, "english" is selected, and as we're building translations far before rendering them public by adding them to the language switcher, there's a timespan where a human can voluntarily land on a translation with a language switcher unaware of this language.

The language switcher currently defaults to english, so english is selected. As "english" is already selected, one can't select "english" to navigate to the english version.

Solutions may be to just hide the select element on unknown translations, or display the unknown language tag. With more work and a "predicted" list of tags-names, it may be possible to also display the name of the language.

Code is here: https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/master/Doc/tools/static/switchers.js

I'll take a look, but if some want to do it, let me know.

components: Documentation
messages: 299932
nosy: docs at python, mdk
title: Docs: On non-public translations, language picker fallback to "English"
type: enhancement
versions: Python 2.7, Python 3.6, Python 3.7