[docs] [issue29428] Doctest documentation unclear about multi-line fixtures

Jim DeLaHunt report at bugs.python.org
Wed Feb 8 23:51:21 EST 2017

Jim DeLaHunt added the comment:

Marco:

> To have a wide view, usually it is a good idea to start from the beginning:
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.lang.python/DfzH5Nrt05E/Yyd3s7fPVxwJ

Thank you, that is a very interesting thread. Clearly the creator of doctests, Tim Peters, is a well-regarded person in the Python world.

On the other hand, I was surprised to see some of the examples used in the present-day documentation in Tim's original 1999 message. I find it remarkable that in 18 years since then, no rewrite or editing has replaced those examples with better ones.