[docs] [issue29013] zipfile: inconsistent doc for ZIP64 file size

Monte Davidoff report at bugs.python.org
Mon Jan 2 03:14:50 EST 2017

Monte Davidoff added the comment:

Serhiy, thank you for the correction and the additional information. I tried reading a zip file larger than 4 GiB with allowZip64=False, and it worked, so it looks like allowZip64 only applies to writing. I suggest we fix the inconsistency in the documentation as follows:

(1) In the description of the zipfile.ZipFile class, revert the change back to:

"If allowZip64 is True (the default) zipfile will create ZIP files that use the ZIP64 extensions when the zipfile is larger than 2 GiB."

(2) Change the second paragraph in the zipfile module documentation from:

"It can handle ZIP files that use the ZIP64 extensions (that is ZIP files that are more than 4 GiB in size)."

to:

"It can handle ZIP files that use the ZIP64 extensions (that is ZIP files that are more than 2 GiB in size)."