[docs] [issue30974] Update os.samefile docstring to match documentation

R. David Murray report at bugs.python.org
Thu Jul 20 11:47:15 EDT 2017

R. David Murray added the comment:

I would take "actual file" as meaning the file the symlink points to, so I'd say the documentation matches the implementation according to your description of the two.  The current docs actually say "refer to the same file or directory", and mention os.stat explicitly, so again I'd say the docs and implementation match.

It sounds like what you want is to open a feature request for a samefile equivalent that does not follow symlinks.  lsamefile?

We could use this issue for making the docstring match the docs, though.  I think the sentence in the docs is short enough to just get copied into the docstring.

assignee:  -> docs at python
components: +Documentation
nosy: +docs at python, r.david.murray
title: os.samefile / shutil._samefile: following symlinks -> Update os.samefile docstring to match documentation
versions: +Python 3.6, Python 3.7