[docs] [issue33233] Suggest third-party cmd2 module as alternative to cmd

Guido van Rossum report at bugs.python.org
Fri Apr 6 22:17:58 EDT 2018

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> added the comment:

Well, is cmd2 stabilizing, or is it still changing at a rate too fast for inclusion in the stdlib? Does it perhaps have a mix of desirable and wacky features? Or could we just copy much of it into the stdlib as 'cmd'?

I'm a bit concerned about the idea that we should not upgrade stdlib modules because a better 3rd party alternative exists -- and I'm kind of assuming that those 3rd party module authors are also somewhat disappointed that their modules are not used to improve the stdlib. (PyPI not withstanding.)

Often (like in this case) there's just no chance of getting rid of the stdlib module, so we're just stuck with a duplication of functionality.

Note that every case is a bit different. But I'm not ready to give up on the idea that Python comes with batteries included. We should not let those batteries corrode and leak.