[docs] [issue34273] %f is confusingly associated with fixed point format

Michael Fischer report at bugs.python.org
Wed Aug 1 05:15:56 EDT 2018

Michael Fischer <michael-fischer89 at web.de> added the comment:

Thank you for your quick reply. I understand why you chose this description better now. However in C %f behaves exactly the same as in Python (for floating-point numbers) and you will mostly find the description for it along the lines of:

'%f' Print a floating-point number in normal (fixed-point) notation. [The GNU C Library Reference Manual - https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/pdf/libc.pdf]

For the sake of simplicity I suggest the following wording:

Fixed point notation. Displays the (floating-point) number as a fixed-point number. The default precision is 6.

In my opinion this emphasizes the intent (fixed precision representation) and hints at the independence of input type, by putting the floating-point in brackets.