[docs] [issue34117] Rename "generator expressions" to "generator comprehensions"

Raymond Hettinger report at bugs.python.org
Mon Aug 13 20:53:51 EDT 2018

Raymond Hettinger <raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> added the comment:

Results from two Python courses:

* In terms of teaching gexexps, there was no net gain or loss.  When genexps are show side-by-side with list/dict/set comps the symmetric relationship was obvious regardless of terminology.

* In terms of being able to search StackOverflow, blog posts, and external resources, the new terminology made the resources unfindable.

* When using the new terminology, I did get questions that never came up before, "why don't the parentheses mean tuple-comprehension".

Based on those results, I recommend we keep the terminology the same as it is now.  The loss of searchability isn't worth it (there doesn't seem to be any upside) and it is concerning that a new category of confusion (list/tuple comprehension) seems to be arising from the change in terminology.