[docs] [issue15533] subprocess.Popen(cwd) documentation: Posix vs Windows

Jan Lachnitt report at bugs.python.org
Wed Jun 13 10:08:31 EDT 2018

Jan Lachnitt <pepalogik at seznam.cz> added the comment:

@eryksun: Sorry for my late reply, apparently I did not have time to reply in 2017. I see your point, but still I think that Python is conceptually multi-platform, so its behavior on Linux and Windows should be as much consistent as possible.

I am not the one to decide which one of the two possible behaviors shall be the correct one. The current documentation <https://docs.python.org/3/library/subprocess.html#subprocess.Popen> describes the behavior on Linux: "In particular, the function looks for executable (or for the first item in args) relative to cwd if the executable path is a relative path." If this is chosen as the correct behavior, then the behavior on Windows is incorrect.

@Damon Atkins: Thank you for reminding this issue, but I suspect your proposed solution of being thread-unsafe. I propose another solution: On Windows, Python should resolve the executable path itself (taking cwd and env into account) and then pass the absolute path to CreateProcess().