[docs] [issue28710] Sphinx incompatible markup in the standard library docstrings

R. David Murray report at bugs.python.org
Mon Jun 18 11:39:04 EDT 2018

R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> added the comment:

Right, my opinion is that we shouldn't be putting markup in docstrings.  They are (from our point of view) pure text.

I don't know if discussion on python-dev is warranted, it seems like a fairly uncontroversial change, since it brings the docstrings in question into compliance with our general practice in the majority of the stdlib.  Unless my impression about that is wrong :)

I don't have an opinion on multiple versus single PR for this.