[docs] [issue33095] Cross-reference isolated mode from relevant locations

Nick Coghlan report at bugs.python.org
Sun Mar 18 01:57:16 EDT 2018

New submission from Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com>:

In https://bugs.python.org/issue33053#msg313966, jwilk noted that it isn't obvious from https://docs.python.org/3/using/cmdline.html#cmdoption-m how to keep the current directory from being added to `sys.path` when using the -m switch. The answer is to pass the `-I` switch as well (to activate isolated mode), but there's no cross reference to help readers discover that fact.

https://docs.python.org/3/using/cmdline.html#id2 is the main documentation for isolated mode, so the steps needed to close this issue are:

1. At least add a reference from the -m switch documentation to the -I switch documentation
2. Review the other parts of the `using` docs that describe how `sys.path` is initialised, and reference the -I switch documentation where relevant

----------
assignee: docs at python
components: Documentation
keywords: easy
messages: 314022
nosy: docs at python, jwilk, ncoghlan
priority: normal
severity: normal
stage: needs patch
status: open
title: Cross-reference isolated mode from relevant locations
type: enhancement
versions: Python 3.6, Python 3.7, Python 3.8