[docs] [issue33114] random.sample() behavior is unexpected/unclear from docs

Tim Peters report at bugs.python.org
Sun Mar 25 02:05:09 EDT 2018

Tim Peters <tim at python.org> added the comment:

There's nothing in the docs I can see that implies `sample(x, n)` is a prefix of what `sample(x, n+1)` would have returned had the latter been called instead.  If so, then - as always - it's "at your own risk" when you rely on behaviors that haven't been specified.  Since the universe of _possible_ behaviors that haven't been specified is immense, I'd rather we didn't even start to list all of them ;-)

Seriously, when the docs don't promise something, it's usually a mistake to assume they just forgot to mention it.  I'd leave the docs alone in this case.

nosy: +tim.peters