[docs] [issue35015] availability directive breaks po files

Karthikeyan Singaravelan report at bugs.python.org
Thu Oct 18 21:29:58 EDT 2018

Karthikeyan Singaravelan <tir.karthi at gmail.com> added the comment:

@Cheryl I think it's about nested inline markup. The func is wrapped inside a * and the markup is normal is not nested here. I tried a sample directive as below :

..availability: :func:`len`

PO file

Availability: len()

Expected

Availability: :func:`len`

@Victor Yes, PO files are broken and markup is good. They have :func:`len` converted to len() like a method call in the output. Since markdown works fine I guess there is some configuration missing in the custom directive code to ensure translations work the same since there are directives like versionadded that have :func: that work fine in PO files. I tried debugging gettext.py in sphinx where catalog of messages are returned without markup as noted for Availablity directive and then written to the file. I don't know how to go little above the call stack to debug further since sphinx configuration looks very complicated.

Thanks

P.S. On mobile please ignore formatting errors if any