[docs] [issue34768] Add documentation for the purpose of __init__.py in packages

Benito Kestelman report at bugs.python.org
Fri Sep 21 15:26:19 EDT 2018

New submission from Benito Kestelman <beni.kestel001 at gmail.com>:

I just learned how to make my own package in python and upload it to pypi. I mainly used the documentation here: https://packaging.python.org/tutorials/packaging-projects/

Other than the toy example, there is no explanation of __init__.py, its purpose, or what I should put in it to get my code to work.

It took me a lot of time and guessing to figure it out, and I had to look at several projects on Github to see how others did it. I found a couple that looked correct because they were concise, but others looked horrendous - one was several thousand lines long.

A clear explanation of how to use __init__.py when making a package would be extremely helpful.

components: Documentation
messages: 326020
nosy: bkestelman, docs at python
title: Add documentation for the purpose of __init__.py in packages