[docs] [issue36538] _thread.interrupt_main() no longer interrupts Lock.wait

Eryk Sun report at bugs.python.org
Sat Apr 6 03:28:06 EDT 2019

Eryk Sun <eryksun at gmail.com> added the comment:

Windows doesn't implement POSIX signals in the kernel, so _thread.interrupt_main (i.e. PyErr_SetInterrupt) can be useful as an abstraction.

Currently PyErr_SetInterrupt (Modules/signalmodule.c) doesn't set our SIGINT event in Windows. It was suggested in issue 29926 to replace the trip_signal call with raise(SIGINT). That works for Windows -- as long as we're not concerned about emulating Ctrl+C exactly as if the user typed it in the console (if we're attached to a console). In POSIX, raise(SIGINT) won't interrupt the main thread if it's in a blocking system call, since it targets pthread_self(), so PyErr_SetInterrupt can instead call kill(getpid(), SIGINT), as you suggest, or pthread_kill(main_thread, SIGINT).

3.8 adds signal.raise_signal (see issue 35568), so it's possible to implement this in pure Python. Either way, it would be nice to keep it as a cross-platform function, and hopefully make it public and documented.

Another option would be to enhance our Windows implementation of os.kill to more closely match POSIX kill(), such that os.kill(os.getpid(), signal.SIGINT) is implemented as raise(SIGINT). That would be a breaking change since currently it calls TerminateProcess (an abrupt termination like POSIX SIGKILL).

nosy: +eryksun