[docs] [issue37867] docs says subprocess.run accepts a string but this does not work on linux

simon mackenzie report at bugs.python.org
Thu Aug 15 08:52:56 EDT 2019

simon mackenzie <simonm3 at gmail.com> added the comment:

Technically true but I am not the first person to have incorrectly
interpreted this that it can be a string which suggests it is not clear to
the reader. Maybe should be explicitly stated in the description of run as
it is not obvious or intuitive.

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 13:47, SilentGhost <report at bugs.python.org> wrote:

> SilentGhost <ghost.adh at runbox.com> added the comment:
>
> The only place this phrase appears is in CompletedProcess.args description
> and it is correct there. Whether args arguments of subprocess.run (or
> generally Popen) can be a list or a string is discussed in Frequently Used
> Arguments section, and it is perfectly clear from reading the text under
> which condition you can pass a string as args argument. I don't think
> anything needs fixing, both implementation and docs are correct.

> assignee:  -> docs at python
> components: +Documentation
> nosy: +SilentGhost, docs at python
> type:  -> behavior

> Python tracker <report at bugs.python.org>
> <https://bugs.python.org/issue37867>

title: docs says subprocess.run  accepts a string but this does not work on linux -> docs says subprocess.run accepts a string but this does not work on linux