[docs] [issue37563] Documentation - default for StreamHandler

Vinay Sajip report at bugs.python.org
Fri Jul 12 06:17:14 EDT 2019

Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> added the comment:

The devil is in the detail. If stream=sys.stderr is specified, that takes effect at import time. If stream=None is specified and the implementation chooses to treat that as sys.stderr, that takes effect at the time of the call. The two are not equivalent. It was a conscious choice by me to implement it this way, and I believe it's clearly documented what happens, which should be sufficiently clear for users.

Which part of

"If stream is specified, the instance will use it for logging output; otherwise, sys.stderr will be used."

is unclear?

resolution:  -> not a bug
status: open -> closed